Retirement Properties in Worcestershire

Worcester was known as Wirecestre in Domesday and is an ancient settlement on the banks of the River Severn. Its name derives from 'Roman town of the Weogora tribe'. The original cathedral was built in the 7th century and has long physically dominated the city and until the Reformation was a centre of pilgrimage with its shrine to St Wulfstan. The city saw the final battle of the English Civil Wars in 1651 with Charles II hiding in an Oak Tree on his way to France.  Today the city is famous for its cricket ground and its own museums of porcelain. Ornate bone china has been maufactured in Worcester since the 18th century. The Three Choirs Festival is held at the cathedral every three years and the Worcester City Museum and Art Gallery on Foregate Street features an exhibition on the River Severn. 

About eight miles south of the city is the delightful small market town of Upton-upon-Severn. It has many Georgian and older houses lining its streets and some notable old inns including The Anchor, The Bell and The White Lion which appears in Henry Fielding's Tom Jones. Cognatum's development here was built by the English Courtyard Association close to the town's centre and takes its name from the area known as Buryfields, the raised ground above the flood plain of the Ham and probably the site of an ancient settlement or Burgh and hence its name. Click below to find out more about this retirement estate:

Berrow Court – Upton upon Severn

Back to Location Map >